Tuesday, February 19, 2013

            I am going to have to be really quick today because we don’t have very much time. Yesterday the libraries were closed so we didn’t get to email but we had a sweet pday anyways. We had a zone BBQ at the church and played basketball and watched the movie The Best Two Years. It was a super fun day.

But backing up a little bit, it has been a really good week. At the beginning of the week we went and taught these two ladies named Sadika and Samira. St Louis has the largest Bosnian population in the world outside of Bosnia. Sadika and Samira are both Bosnian and they love coming to church and come every week. Unfortunately it’s more for welfare than anything else. We have had so much junk going on with welfare recently its driving us insane! But teaching them has been really fun and different. They have very little understanding of Christ. They have heard some stories about Him but that’s pretty much it. So we have had an interesting time trying to teach them from square one. It makes me really thankful that most of the people that we teach have some kind of Christian background.

            Thursday morning I woke up and went on exchanges with Elder Spjut in Lindell. It was cool because you wake up and you can’t see anything because you are surrounded by skyscrapers. Then you step outside and the arch is just down the street from you. Their apartment is right next to the Fox Theater and they are showing the Book of Mormon musical right now. It’s really funny because people either look at all the huge posters and then us and get confused, or you can contact someone right in front of a poster that says Book of Mormon, and ask them if they have ever heard of the Book of Mormon before and they have no idea what it is. People in St Louis struggle sometimes.

The not so cool part about waking up in Lindell was waking up and feeling horrible. I knew from the second I woke up that the sinus infection that I keep getting on my mission was coming back. Thursday was a really, really long day of busing. I got a blessing that night from a few missionaries and then we headed back to Oakville. When we walked into Brother Mills’s house I went straight to the bathroom and started blowing my nose. Before I could even turn the corner Brother Mills was handing me a handful of pills and telling me to go to bed. The weekend was really long too. We had a lot of stuff we needed to do so we went and did it all but I could barely get from the car to the house. One of the many blessings of living with Brother Mills is that he can write prescriptions so I got some pills and I feel pretty good now. It just made me really thankful that I was living in such a perfect situation to get over these things.

            This weekend ended with church on Sunday and it was really interesting. We sat in on a lot of meetings with the bishop and some other people and we had to try to help with a bunch of stuff that we really don’t want to have to deal with. After all the meetings we were just sitting with the bishop and he looked at us and said "Well we have graduated from ward problems 101 and now we are getting into the more advanced courses" It was a day that definitely made me thankful for all of the hard work that bishops do and all of the effort that they put into their callings.

Even though there have been a lot of problems this week there has been a ton of good too. We found 4 new investigators which doubled our teaching pool and they are really cool people. Me and Elder Bullock are getting along great and it is a ton of fun. It was a huge adjustment for both of us at first but now we are having a great time together. Transfer calls are this weekend and it seems like it has gone by so fast. This transfer is only 5 weeks and we are thinking that we will probably get 1 more transfer together so we are really happy about that and excited to get to serve together for 6 more weeks (probably at least).

            Monday was Pday that I talked about that briefly already, and today as been really good so far. We went down to Crystal City to a district meeting and had a great time there. Then we went and ate at Ryan’s which is like a really bad Golden Coral. We felt awful after that. Then right after that we went to get our hair cut. Now we normally just cut our own hair on Monday, but a few days ago a member in our ward told us that she really wanted us to go and meet the girl who cuts her hair. So she paid the girl beforehand and told us that she wants the missionaries to get their hair cut there from now on to try to build a relationship with this girl and hopefully teach her someday. We went in to the salon and got our man cards ripped up at the door because it was like walking into a little girl’s room. But hey we got free haircuts out of it and we got to talk to some really cool people for about an hour. So hopefully something comes out of that sometime in the future and we will head back in a month or so to get our haircut again and see how they are doing. We also got to sit down and have a lesson with a guy named Norman and he has a ton of questions that we were able to help answer and it was really good. We are looking forward to a great week and hopefully everything that we have planned out goes well! I love all of you and will talk to you again on Monday.

-Elder Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment