Monday, January 6, 2014


I’m going to go a little backwards this week and start with yesterday and today. Nothing cool has happened with missionary work but the weather has been insane!! It snowed all day yesterday. It came to about a foot of snow which really isn’t that much but out here that’s a ton! They don’t really plow the roads so pretty much everyone just slides around and almost dies all day. The whole mission parked their cars and only 3 wards had church. They were the very southern wards in the mission so it was more just rain down there.

This morning we got outside to try to dig out our car and it was under about 3 feet of snow because the wind decided to wreck our car with snow. It took us about 30 minutes to dig our car out. Oh ya and its -8 degrees. Elder Wunderli had a water bottle in his coat pocket and by time we finished digging out car out the water bottle had frozen in his pocket. In Champaign, the more northern part of our mission, the high today is -12. It’s going to be a pretty cold day. We finally got out and headed over to the sisters apartment to dig their car out and the roads were frozen. We have just been running and sliding around on the roads all day cause it’s so frozen. It’s been fun.

The rest of this week has been pretty fun too. We went on a couple exchanges. I was up in Springfield with Elder Boren and in Champaign with Elder Francis. It was a good couple days. We had a lot of success and I always love exchanges cause miracles always happen. It was kinda hard to say goodbye to those elders cause I knew it was the last time I was going to see them. All 4 of them, especially Elder Norton who I lived with for 4 1/2 months, are some of my closest friends. But it was great to get to spend a little bit of time with them for the last time.

Once I got back to St Louis Hills, me and Elder Wunderli had some good success. Saturday we found 3 new investigators and 2 of them planned on coming to sacrament meetings (before it got canceled).  We found a 21 year old girl with the cutest 5 month year old baby I have ever seen. She has had a super rough past but has pulled it together and has a job and is going to school now. I can’t believe that she is the same age as me and has gone through so much in her life. I don’t even know how she is holding herself together. She is great though and has been to church in different places in the past. She seems ready to get baptized. Hopefully we will be setting a date with her this week on Wednesday and she will probably get baptized the week after I leave. That would be great to see her make that change.

It has been so amazing to see the changes that have been taking place in the people that we are teaching. I love talking to them and seeing how much the gospel changes them. It makes them so much happier! I am so thankful for the knowledge of this gospel and the blessing it is to have it in my life and to get to share it with other. I’m looking forward to these next couple weeks and getting to share this message.
 
-Elder Banks

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment