Monday, May 6, 2013

This was probably the craziest week I have had on my mission and it went by super fast. Monday was a super nice day outside and we got to go and play tennis and that was pretty fun, but it made it even cooler because we played on the tennis courts right next to the temple. That made it a lot cooler.


The next day on Tuesday we were supposed to drive up to Springfield and have our zone leader exchange up there but a bunch of crazy stuff happened. We had a lot of changes with missionaries getting moved around and the thing that made me the most thankful was that we had to take some sisters out of companionships and move them to new areas with new companions. In the "old generation" of sisters that would have been awful, but all these new 19 year old sisters are champs and they are willing to do whatever they need to do and they all made the move with no complaints. It was really nice to get to work with some missionaries who were so willing to help. 


            Tuesday night we drove up to Jacksonville and slept over there so we were ready for interviews the next day. We got there at 8 30 so I grabbed Elder Anderson and we had 30 minutes to go see some people. We drove over to see Terry and TJ and it was so good to see them again! Driving around Jacksonville again was so much fun. It was great to get to go back. There are a lot of people there that I am looking forward to seeing again sometime. Hopefully some of them will be going through the temple soon and I will get to do that with them. 


             Wednesday we had interviews in the Springfield zone and then that night we got to take the 4 hour trip to the Columbia zone for their interviews the next day. Those 2 days were really, really long. But thankfully we only have 2 more sets of interviews left.


The day after that I got to go on exchanges in Columbia with Elder Barney. I don’t know if you remember me talking about Elder Barney before, but he was my first district leader and one of my good friends out here so being with him was really fun. We started the day by going to Mizzou and contacting people on campus. The first person we talked to ended up being fairly interested and became a new investigator. I started making jokes about how easy it was to contact on campus. But apparently that was the first time that had ever happened to him. I was really thankful to get to be there for that.


           Later that night we were going to a returning less active guys house to teach his friend. We were really hoping that they would show up and we got there and he was sitting there waiting. He is a return missionary returning from being less active and he is just the coolest guy ever. His friend came over and we were planning on teaching the first lesson. We started asking his friend questions and found out that they had been reading the Book of Mormon together for the last week and he had already prayed and found out it was true. Instead of a regular first lesson we walked out with a super solid new investigator with a baptismal date. He was really nervous to get baptized because he had already seen that there must be opposition in all things, but he knew that it would be worth it. It was probably the coolest lesson I have been in on my mission. I was so thankful for that day and all the amazing things that we got to see in Columbia.


            Saturday we went on an exchange with the north zone leaders and had just a normal solid day. Then on Sunday we went on exchanges with the St Louis zone leaders and me and Elder Sutherland went to the Washington ward for church. It was a really good ward and Elder Bullock is serving there right now and it was great to get to see him and spend some time with him again. The St Louis zone leaders are in Maryland Heights and the part that they have has been really tough for a long time. We went around and visited people all day and none of them wanted to make time to sit down with us for a couple minutes. It was a pretty long day of talking to uninterested people and it sounded like that pretty much summed up the transfer so far for them. But then at the end of the day at

8: 30 we went to go see one last person who was a referral. They had tried to see him a couple times before but he had never been home. We finally got in contact with him and he came out and told us that he had been taking the lessons in California but then he moved here and lost contact with the missionaries. We set up a time to come talk to him and he wants to come to church. He was a great kid and is going to progress really fast from what I saw. 


             It was a great week even though we slept in other people apartments for 6 days straight. We are doing almost the same thing this week but hopefully it goes pretty quickly just like this week. Mother’s day is coming up so happy Mother’s day to all of you moms! I hope you all have an amazing week.


-Elder Banks


No comments:

Post a Comment